EBSCO has launched the LEAN GREEN EBSCO Spring Initiative
EBSCO's Green Initiative is both environmentally and fiscally responsible. The Green Team established a goal to be self funded, investing returns from our efforts into new green projects. The goal of LEAN is to reduce waste. The goal of GREEN is to recycle what waste exists into cash to drive additional green efforts.
EBSCO's Environmental Policy
EBSCO recognizes and accepts its responsibility to be a good steward of the environment and to help achieve a state of sustainable development. In support of these responsibilities Ebsco has established the following commitments:
- Compliance to all applicable state, federal and local legal requirements with a goal of beyond compliance wherever practical and possible.
- Conformance with the EPA Energy Star and Design for the Environment programs.
- Prevention of pollution in all its forms.
- Conservation of natural resources, including energy, through source reduction, reuse and recycling wherever practical.
- Continual environmental performance improvement through the involvement of all Ebsco employees and partnership with the local community.
To raise awareness among the EBSCO Spring Employees, our "Green Team" created an event called the Recycle Olympics. The object of the recycle olympics was to get the employees in the habit of recycling. Every Monday for the month of September, employees brought their recycled goods and one of our employees weighed and kept track of the amount. We had a Gold, Silver and Bronze winner, and then a department was also crowned victor. We had a great time and I believe people will get into recycling from now on.
Other "Green" Accomplishments Include:
- Instead of using paper bags, we switched to Re-Useable Totes to exchange springs within the shop.
- Recycle bins have been put up in every department and intermittently throughout the shop.
- Our Green Team purchased re-useable for coffee mugs and drink cups to reduce or cut out the use of styrofoam, drastically cutting down on the amount of waste.
- We recently joined the program "Up With Tress" in which trees were planted with our donation and a sign dedicated to EBSCO Employees and Future Employees was placed on HWY. 169 and 51st St.
- EBSCO recycles batteries, and purchased a battery charger that has the capabilities to charge all batteries, not just rechargeable ones.
OUR GOAL: Pursuing ISO 14001-Environmental Management Certification
The next agenda on the EBSCO Spring "Green" list is to pursue certification of ISO 1400-Environmental Management. Ebsco Spring seeks to reach sustainability, utilizing only the resources needed while providing adequate resources for future generations. It is important that we deal with our waste responsibly, and becoming ISO Certified will help us to show the world that we take environmental management very seriously.
Here are some of the Benefits of Using ISO 14001:2004
- Reduced Cost of Waste Management
- Savings in Consumption of Energy and Materials
- Lower Distribution Costs
- Improved Corporate Image among regulators, customers and the public.